Lead Consultant – Contracts & Negotiations Subject Matter Expert
Who We Are
Util-Assist is a leading consulting company to electric, water, and gas utilities, with customers throughout Canada and the United States. Utilities today are undergoing an exciting digital transformation; the widespread deployment of smart grid technologies and renewable energy sources is colliding with customer demand for electric vehicles, energy savings, and better customer experiences to produce a dramatic shift in how utilities do business. Util-Assist is at the forefront of that shift.
Our vision is to be the trusted partner in driving digital innovation that reshapes the utility landscape. To bring that vision to life, Util-Assist is leading the way in helping utilities take advantage of the latest developments in utility IT, with growing practices for data analytics and customer experience consulting building on our well-established smart grid procurement and implementation management services. Our managed services division provides a variety of services to utility customers, including outage management and intelligent monitoring services
Teamwork is key to the success of the Util-Assist family; mutual respect, cooperation, and honesty are hallmarks of our principles. We offer a range of energizing, multi-disciplinary careers in a high-tech industry, with great potential for development and advancement as both the industry and our company continue to grow. Util-Assist’s flexible work environment allows you to work from anywhere, letting you choose the work arrangements that make the most sense for you. We will give you the tools and support to succeed in our business, wherever you are.
We are firmly committed to fostering a welcoming, positive, and diverse workplace. Thanks to our outstanding culture, we are the proud recipients of several national and local awards, including the Employee Recommended Workplace Award (three years running), the York Region Business of the Year award, and the Newmarket Large Business of the Year Award.
We’re excited to meet you! Learn more about Util-Assist at www.util-assist.com.
What We Need
Reporting to the Director, Consulting, the Lead Consultant will lead contract negotiations and scope of work development on behalf of our clients in the utility industry.
What You’ll Do
- Work with legal teams to articulate business risks within contracts
- Translate business and technical requirements into scope of work (SOW) language that aligns with contractual documents (using defined terms and clauses)
- Negotiate contracts and engage with vendors to articulate the business position and document the risks that the contract must guard against
- Interpret business case documents to tie the capabilities and functionality of the business case benefits to the realization of those benefits within the contract and SOW
- Accurately identify and capture important information from contract negotiation meeting conversations
- Break down complex documents and projects into presentation documents to educate clients on the technology and equipment that is being purchased
- Facilitate productive meetings with a wide variety of participants to drive successful outcomes
- Establish strong client/vendor relationships to support the client in the delivery of the work
- Create workplans for the contract and SOW negotiation process
- Lead the team through execution of the workplan, track action items, and manage communications amongst the parties to the negotiations
What You’ll Bring
- Strong planning and organizational skills, to develop negotiation plans and keep the negotiations team on track to completion
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- A high level of business and financial acumen
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability and initiative to lead and positively influence a team
- An exceptional focus on detail for developing clear scopes on behalf of our clients
- The ability and intuition to ask the right questions in the right way to gather necessary information
- The ability to work independently
- Ability to judge whether to contribute to negotiations based on topic
Experience and Education
- Experience negotiating contracts and developing SOWs for multi-million-dollar engagements
- Thorough technical knowledge of utility operations and the meter to cash process
- 10-15 years experience working in utility IT, customer service, metering and/or operations or at a major AMI/MDM vendor
- Experience with field installation services procurement, either planning or conducting
- Strong knowledge of utility enterprise technology applications (CIS, OMS, GIS, SCADA)
- Experience and knowledge of different technology integrations in the utility space
- Must have senior-level consulting and advisory services level experience
- Experience with researching and developing detailed responsibilities in SOWs for multi-million-dollar engagements
- Experience and willingness in creating new and unanticipated deliverables as needed during the project
- Experience working with legal counsel
- Travel may be required throughout Canada and the U.S. A valid passport is required.
- Must pass criminal and passport background checks.
- Must have a vehicle and valid driver’s license for local Ontario travel.
- A competitive base salary and comprehensive health benefits
- Work-life balance with flexible working arrangements
- The opportunity to work with an innovative company that is on the leading edge of technology
- Plenty of opportunity for career advancement in a fast-growing company
- A results-driven environment
- True team collaboration
- A fun, social, award-winning culture
Please submit your resume and cover letter (mandatory) by no later than: May 14, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest in Util-Assist; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Util-Assist is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To stay safe in your job search, information on common scams and to get free expert advice, we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organization working to combat job scams.