Environmental Regulatory Advisor
Shell - Qatar
35386BR Environmental Regulatory Advisor Qatar Ras Laffan Shell is the largest foreign investor in Qatar and has invested US$ 21 billion in Qatar alone in the past six years. Joining Shell in Qatar will see you work on some of the world’s most innovative energy projects: Pearl GTL and Qatargas 4. Innovation is key at Shell, and your career will be propelled by Shell’s commitment to your career, which will accelerate your learning curve and broaden your scope. Moreover, our diverse pool of global experts will see you engage with colleagues worldwide. Qatar is the world’s largest LNG supplier, and Shell’s global leadership in LNG will help forge growth in the years to come. JOB PURPOSE - Position description
- Priority in the employment shall be given to the Qatari workers. Non-Qatari workers may be employed in case of need.
- Qatar Labor Law (Article 18)
This position is part of the Environmental Operations Team responsible for Qatar Shell's "Pearl" Gas-to-Liquids plant in northern Qatar.
The holder of this position is required to:
•Support development of environmental compliance throughout the Asset
•Support QSGTL's engagement with regulators on all aspects of environmental and waste management
• Facilitate the implementation of permit requirements in the Asset organisation.
• Provide advice on environmental regulatory matters to all parts of Qatar Shell including contractors.
The Environmental Regulatory Advisor reports to the Qatar Shell Environment Manager and will be based in Ras Laffan City, Qatar
Dimensions - Position description
- Qatar Shell GTL is an integrated upstream / downstream business which operates the world scale Pearl Gas To Liquids Plant in the State of Qatar in partnership with Qatar Petroleum. Pearl GTL is a critical asset for both the Shell Group and Qatar through the establishment of a new industry by introducing a new technology that generates clean products for the world market.
- Qatar Shell incorporates other businesses in Qatar including the Qatar Shell Research and Technology Centre and others. This position will support these businesses in the interim pending establishment of their own full time organisations.
- The Regulatory Advisor will be required to work closely with all teams in Qatar Shell so that implementation of the applicable environmental standards and practices can be assured and demonstrated. The position will draw on the incumbent’s ability to work across multiple interfaces and proactively influence the company / contractor behaviours to achieve an Incident and Injury Free culture.
- The Regulatory Advisor must be sensitive to the relationship between the Company and its various contractors and stakeholders to achieve effective implementation.
- This position provides a unique opportunity to implement consistent and robust Environmental management in Qatar Shell.
- When required, national and International business travel is part of the job.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES - Position description - Accountabilities:
- Ensure compliance with Environmental permits and consents
- Assure implementation & maintenance of the terms of the CTO
- Advice to Assets and Projects on Qatari environmental regulations and permitting
- Advice to Assets and Projects on Qatari waste and hazardous substances regulations and permitting
- Monitor compliance with standards and regulations and ensure that non-compliances are brought to the attention of senior managers.
- Facilitate the reporting of legally required incident and other reports.
- Facilitate Asset Area implementation plans to ensure environmental compliance.
Environmental Permits & Consents
- Support the Qatar Shell Environment Manager in engagement with the regulators to obtain environmental permits, renewal process of the CTO.
- Support the Waste Coordinator in determining optimum waste disposal routes and necessary permitting and engagement with regulators.
- Support the Asset Contracting and Procurement organisation in obtaining the necessary permits and consents for importation of hazardous materials.
- Support the implementation of environmental permits and consents for the operating Asset.
- Support the implementation and maintenance of the terms in the Environmental Consent to operate.
- Support engagement with regulatory authorities over implementation of new projects including environmental improvement initiatives such as VOC recovery and incineration, hazardous waste disposal, etc.
Environmental Compliance Monitoring
- Support collection of input data, record in relevant spreadsheets, conduct critical review and validate Environmental incident reports to Group and the Qatar Ministry of Environment.
- Prepare communications to external stakeholders, including Ministries on environmental legal compliance
- Ensure incidents and other legally required communications are made to Ministries and regulators
- Support communication with QSGTL Technology to ensure legal requirements to monitor, evaluate and report environmental performance data of Pearl GTL asset to internal and external stakeholders are met
Environmental Management System
- Support execution of HSSE audit system/plan to ensure compliance with legal requirements
- Support to drive the management review process for Qatar Shell environmental performance
- Communicate potential changes in legal requirements that may impact on Qatar Shell operations
- Support the development of systems to maintain an inventory of hazardous substances and deliver reports to regulatory authorities.
- Facilitate monitoring and reporting of noise, ground water, and air quality
- Give environmental advice on regulatory requirements for:
- Day to day Asset operations, maintenance works, waste management, logistics and other works conducted by or related to Qatar Shell businesses;
- Environmental aspects of design, selection, purchase and installation of new equipment;
- Assure sound environmental control systems and practices are maintained and followed in accordance with legal requirements so that all emissions are within legal limits as well as in line with Group standards and requirements:
- monitor the emissions through plant reports and on site measurements and advise on the appropriate corrective actions where needed;
- monitor implementation of fugitive emission mitigation programs.
- Support conduct of Environmental Focal Points meeting
- Support to provide specialist environmental advice to Qatar Projects Hub for new projects and coordinate preparation of ESHIA as required for permit applications.
Priority in the employment shall be given to the Qatari workers. Non-Qatari workers may be employed in case of need.
- Qatar Labor Law (Article 18)
KEY CHALLENGES - Position description - Special Challenges:
The Environmental Regulatory Adviser is required to support all operational activities across Shell’s businesses in Qatar. This requires the ability to communicate effectively across many disciplines and phases of the Opportunity Realisation Process.
The incumbent must have sound understanding of the environmental law in Qatar in practice as well as in law, to provide effective guidance to operations staff in all Qatar Shell businesses.
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE - Experience and Qualifications required:
•A strong lead Environmental professional with broad expertise and experience to organise and implement sound and robust Environmental controls, programmes, and activities.
•A self-starter with outstanding communication skills and an ability to work in a team.
•This position requires a motivated individual with high energy, team working skills, a "can do" attitude, and when required would be prepared to stretch personal and business goals.
•Has a thorough understanding of the applicable legal requirements on environment, and the ability to translate this understanding into practical solutions
•Has the professional and personal stature to interface with, and influence, a wide variety of contacts, including management, staff, contractors, HSSE professionals and external stakeholders including regulators.
•Is able to communicate and influence effectively within a multicultural setting
•Can work effectively with Project, Operations and other company and contractor staff
•Has proven competence and experience as an Environmental Advisor in a related upstream / downstream industrial / project environment.
- Environmental Specialist Skills Profile fully met.
- Fluency in the English is an essential requirement for the job
Overall the incumbent must have excellent leadership, behaviours/interpersonal skills and be capable of representing Qatar Shell to key stakeholders
COMPETENCES - Key Competences required:
- Risk Management (Environmental HEMP, ALARP, BAT)
- Investigate and learn from HSSE incidents
- Monitor and report HSSE & SP performance (Environment)
- HSSE & SP Assurance and Management Review
- Contractor HSSE Management
- Environmental Regulations, Permits and Standards
- Social Performance
Other desirable specialist competences
- Air emissions
- Waste and water discharges
- Soil and groundwater
Project HSSE & SP risks (Impact Assessment)