Senior Project Accountant
at International Center for Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) in
Senior Project Accountant Full time at International Center for Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) in Cairo, Egypt
Job highlightsPosted on February 21, 2018
Main purpose of the position
The position is required to take leadership in managing the project finance and donor reporting functions of all projects. The position is responsible for ensuring that the financial accounts and project reports comply with the policies and procedures of ICARDA and the donors.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA's mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information:
The incumbent will report to the Financial Planning and Reporting Manager and will have the following responsibilities:
• Review (and on some cases develop) the budget of restricted project proposals in coordination with the Proposal Development and Grant Management Office;
• Lead the financial management of all projects ensuring accurate accounting of project funds in close coordination with project leaders and program directors;
• Prepare monthly variance analysis of project budget and actual expenses for review and action of the relevant Project Leaders, Program Directors, and Director of Finance;
• Analyze accounts receivables and accounts payables of projects to manage cash flow of projects
• Initiate preparation of invoices for project funds and follow-up collection with donors in coordination with the Treasury Office;
• Monitor project funds released to partners and collaborators of the project;
• Liaise with donor representatives on specific financial issues about the project
• Prepare donor financial reports as required;
• Liaise with the internal and external auditors reviewing project financial management and reports;
• Prepare CRP mapping of project expenses;
• Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual closing and reporting, with direct responsibility in the monitoring of project expenses;
• Contribute to the service delivery of the Finance Services and respond to queries and requests in a timely and appropriate manner; and
• Carry-out other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance.
Education, qualifications and experience
• University degree (Bachelor's or equivalent) in Accounting. Master's Degree in Business Management or Accounting is desirable;
• A professional qualification such as CPA/CA (or equivalent) is desirable;
• At least 5 years of progressive experience in project financial management, of which 2 years should have been in a supervisory capacity;
• Experience with an international organization will be an advantage;
• Proficiency in computerized information system, databases and financial packages is a must, experience in Agresso system is desirable;
• Proficiency in the use of MS Office specially advanced application of Excel is a must;
• An effective and energetic team-player, with excellent communication and interpersonal skills; able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
• Strong self-motivation and innovative skills;
• Excellent command of spoken and written English.
Please apply online at by 1 March 2018
To stay safe in your job search, information on common scams and to get free expert advice, we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organization working to combat job scams.