Chef De Cuisine
at SSR in
UAE - Abu Dhabi
Chef De Cuisine at SSR in UAE - Abu Dhabi
Job highlightsPosted on November 28, 2016
- Experience in Hospitality & Tourism
- Professional background in Cooking, chef, chef de cuisine, Hospitality / Tourism
- Job level Experienced
Fluent English is a Must
JOB DESCRIPTION - Chef de Cuisine
The Chef de Cuisine is the culinary chef located just below the Executive Sous chef in a kitchen's chain of command. The Chef de Cuisine is responsible for overseeing the entire food production of a shift, including their creation, execution and presentation. The position must ensure the recipes that have been created are being executed correctly, and must also ensure quality control measures are being adhered to daily. The Chef de Cuisine is responsible for determining how many staff members are needed for each shift. The Position must possess the ability to quickly and authoritatively delegate job tasks to a large team. This position must also be able to draw upon their considerable experience as a culinary chef who has worked in many different roles and settings in order to effectively coach and mentor junior chefs.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
• Adheres to company and client health, safety, environment and quality (HSEQ) plans, policies and procedures.
• Ensures that the Kitchen assigned operates in a safe and efficient manner
• Adheres to company and statutory food & hygiene standards
• Ensures manual handling and chemical protocols are followed
• Ensures uniform is clean and personal hygiene requirements are maintained through the team
• Familiar with all Emergency codes and knows what to do in the event of an emergency
• Identifies hazards and reports all hazards and incidents immediately
STOCK CONTROL AND MONITORING
• Receives and checks all deliveries from the suppliers, reporting any discrepancy to the Executive Sous Chef and/or the Executive Chef or the Hospitality General Manager
• Unpacks, re-shelves and stores stock
• Follows guidelines regarding stock loss and control
• Assists with the unloading and stacking of stock
• Assists with inventory on the on a monthly basis
• Checks the quantity and quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
• Ensures that all stock is within the 'Best Before' or 'Use by'
• Ensures prompt and efficient service of all the Kitchen team on shift
• Provides advice to customers regarding products selection (when required)
• Ensures that the Kitchen team maintain a high level of personal presentation, wearing correct uniform and offering a professional, courteous and friendly service.
• Attends to customer complaints promptly with professionalism, providing feedback and involving the Executive Chef where required
• Ensures that the Kitchen Team are correctly staffed at all times
• Prepares duty rosters in consultation with the Executive Sous Chef
• Determines production schedules and Team requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services.
• Motivates the team by creating a stimulating, positive and energetic work atmosphere
• Provides feedback to the Executive Chef regarding performance appraisal and overall team performance feedback
• Conducts regular on-the-job training in consultation with the L&D Manager
• Communicates all grievances to management following the grievance flowchart and guidelines
• Assists in the recruitment of new kitchen team members when requested
• Plans, directs, and supervises the food preparation and cooking activities of multiple kitchens within the Hospital.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
• Collaborates with other personnel to plan and develop recipes and menus, taking into account such factors as seasonal availability of ingredients and the likely number of customers.
• Demonstrates new cooking techniques and equipment to the team.
• Determines how food should be presented, and creates decorative food displays.
• Estimates amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
• Inspects supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
• Instructs cooks and other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, and presentation of food.
• Monitors sanitation practices to ensure that team follow standards and regulations.
• Analyses recipes to assign prices to menu items, based on food, labour, and overhead costs.
• Records production and operational data on specified forms.
• Works with diet cooks and dieticians for special requirements and with Executive Sous Chef in planning, budgeting, and purchasing for all food production operations.
• In addition to the above, any other assignment given occasionally or on a daily basis by the Management
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIRED
• High School Certificate (or equivalent)
• Certificate or Diploma in Culinary / Pastry Arts / Hotel Management ;
• Essential Food Safety Training Certificate
• Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate
• At least 5 to 7 years' experience in the Food & Beverage Industry preferably in a 5 star Hotel, flight kitchen, cruise ship or Hospital
• Previous experience in the Middle East is desirable
• Friendly and polite temperament
• Flexible and tolerant in high pressure environments
• Enthusiasm and a positive attitude
• Confident at communicating clearly and effectively in a culturally diverse environment
• Excellent standard of personal presentation & hygiene
• Disciplined with a strong work ethic
• Ability to work well both autonomously and as part of a team
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES:
• Understanding of basic food & beverage service skills
• Understanding of the importance of Occupational Health & Safety and Food Safety and Hygiene
• Strong communication & listening skills
• Good customer service skills
• Previous experience leading and managing a small team in a diverse environment
• Leads by example, demonstrating a high level of patience, calmness and positivity in the workplace
• Solid attention to detail and good time management skills
• Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Ability to learn quickly & adapt to change
• Ability to work and lead a team while multi-tasking
• Ability to think clearly with solid judgement in high pressure situations
• Strong conflict & complaint resolution skills
• Fluent in written and spoken English
• Spoken Arabic will be an added advantage
• Exposure to basic financials (preferred, not essential)
• Basic Microsoft Office skills, including word & excel