Executive Sous Chef
at SSR in
UAE - Abu Dhabi
Executive Sous Chef at SSR in UAE - Abu Dhabi
Job highlightsPosted on November 28, 2016
- Experience in Hospitality & Tourism
- Professional background in chef, Cooking, sous chef, Culinary/Restaurant Industry, Hospitality
- Job level Managerial
Fluent English is a Must
Responsible for managing the overall kitchens for a shift, for producing meals and services within the required deadlines according to the culinary and sanitation standards specified. Provide safe and efficient management of all food production within the Facility, while focusing on providing a high level of customer service through culinary excellence, unfailingly delivering products of the highest quality in terms of freshness, taste and consistency. Strictly adhering to HACCP guidelines as determined by local law and provides leadership and support to Kitchen team, leading by example at all times
HEALTH AND SAFETY
• Implements company and client health, safety, environment and quality (HSEQ) policy & procedures
• Ensures that cleanliness of premises and equipment are maintained
• Ensures that company and statutory food & hygiene standards are maintained
• Ensures that the Food Production team operates in a safe and efficient manner
• Ensures manual handling and chemical protocols are followed
• Ensures uniform is clean and personal hygiene requirements are maintained by the team
• Identifies, assesses and reports hazards, risks and incidents implementing the necessary procedures and policy
• Conducts regular checks of all equipment, reporting any faults as per the prescribed procedure
• Familiar with all Emergency codes and knows what to do in the event of an emergency
PLANNING AND ORGANISING
• Responsible for ensuring that the Food Production department's contractual obligations at the Facility are met on time and on budget
• Generates schedules for all areas of Food Production operations
• Ensures that administration requirements are adhered to and reports are submitted on time as stipulated.
• Takes an active interest in trends within the industry and makes suggestions for improvement of the operation
STOCK CONTROL AND MONITORING
• Ensures that the various sections in the department are adequately stocked
• Ensures that consumable and non-consumable goods are ordered, correctly stored and issued to the various sections correctly
• Ensures purchase orders are issued and invoices checked against goods received, reporting any discrepancy to the Hospitality General Manager
• Ensures that regular stocktakes are conducted and inventoried against established, Facility-specific, par levels
Ensures prompt and efficient service at all times
• Ensures that the Food Production team maintain a high level of personal presentation, wearing correct uniform and offering a professional, courteous and friendly service.
• Attends to customer complaints promptly with professionalism, empathy, providing feedback and initiating corrective action where required
• Monitors overall customer satisfaction following up satisfaction survey results, comment cards, emails, letters and phone calls
• Ensures that all sections of the Department are correctly staffed at all times
• Ensures that the most suitably qualified team member is appointed in the event of a vacancy and assist in recruitment of all Food Production team members
• Motivates the team by creating a stimulating, positive and energetic work atmosphere
• Conducts or ensures that regular on-the-job training is taking place as per the agreed standard, in coordination with the L&D Manager
• Checks and approves all team members timesheets/payroll and approves leave requests
• Conducts regular performance appraisals for the Food Production team, identifying areas for development and ensuring that all training is effective
• Ensures that all team member grievances are investigated using the correct procedure and taking the appropriate action
• Responsible and accountable for the financial performance of the team
• Responsible for meeting or exceeding budgetary and agreed performance targets.
• Oversees food production operations for the shift
• Works with the dieticians regarding special diet requirements for patients.
• Inspects the food preparation process and food quality to ensure standards are being maintained at all times for the relevant shift
• Works alongside the team on the floor and during service periods
• Determines how food should be presented and displayed in conjunction with the Executive Chef
• Ensures that Food Samples of all items served from the Kitchen are maintained at all times , whether they are prepared in the kitchen or procured externally
• Plans, organizes, and supervises daily culinary operation of Food Production in conjunction with the Executive Chef.
• Prepares reports, assists in the ordering of food and supplies, schedules culinary staff for operations
• Participates in the specification and selection of food items, updates and maintains recipes
• Conducts daily production meetings, participates in strategic programmatic improvements, represents the department in a variety of settings including events, committees, meetings, etc if required in the absence of the Executive Chef.
• Maintains proper production, safety, and sanitation ;
• Evaluates the quality of raw food and ensures the quality of the finished products for the shift.
• In conjunction with the Executive Chef, ensures overall consistency and high quality across the various operations; plans menus based on such factors as market trends, customer preferences, and nutritional considerations; designs recipes, determines appropriate ingredients and specifies individual serving portion for each recipe.
• In conjunction with the Executive Chef, develops menus in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints; participates in other menu planning activities to include the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development.
• In conjunction with the Executive Chef, develops culinary training programs for food production employees and serves as a culinary resource to promote quality food services.
• Inspection of assigned units to observe quality of food preparation and service; food appearance; and cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment and employee appearance.
• Plans, develops, and implements culinary production for special events and catered functions as required during the shift.
• Supervises and participates in the preparation and display of menu items for special functions during the shift.
• Prepares operational reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and makes appropriate recommendations.
• Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein and designated within the Food Services supervisor's job series. Maintains proper inventory controls for food, supplies, and ;
• Assists Executive Chef for, Interviews, selects, trains, and evaluates supervisory and support ;
• Coordinates cooking staff with respect to menu production and the efficient utilization of food resources.
• Continually maintains and trains the staff in sanitary practices and procedures.
• Monitors the food budget and make adjustments as prices fluctuate throughout the year.
• Develops standard menus changing them with seasonal supply, pricing and availability.
• Combines the right mix of qualified personnel and products to attain established operating standards of excellence for all food service operations.
• Works with the Service Delivery Manager regarding the ordering of products and ;
• Acts as a mentor/advisor in training and keeping staff abreast of the most current culinary skills and tools.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIRED
• Degree/Diploma in Food Service/Production or equivalent is required
• Current First Aid Certificate (preferred, not essential)
• Advance Food Hygiene Certificate
• Minimum of 10 to 12 (10 to 12) years' experience in a similar role within a Hospital F&B department or similar environment such as a Flight Kitchen / 5 - 7 Star hotel is required.
• 2 years proven work experience at Chef level in the Middle East (desirable not essential)
• At least 3 years work experience in an healthcare environment
• Must have prior experience of mobilizing / start-up of large projects
• Friendly and calm temperament
• Flexible and tolerant in high pressure environments
• Enthusiasm and a positive attitude
• Confident at communicating clearly and effectively in a culturally diverse environment
• Excellent standard of personal presentation & hygiene
• Disciplined, with a strong work ethic
• Ability to work well both autonomously and as part of a team
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES:
• Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Strong conflict & complaint resolution skills
• Strong customer service skills
• Previous experience leading and managing a small team in a diverse multicultural environment
• Strong communication skills
• Leads by example, demonstrating a high level of patience, calmness and positivity in the workplace
• Solid attention to detail and time management skills
• Demonstrates an up-to-date and in-depth understanding of the industry
• Displays ability to be decisive and able to react to unforeseen difficulties
• Assists with training of all new team members
• Demonstrates excellent work ethic with schedule flexibility determined by the business needs
• Fluent in spoken and written English
• Ability to communicate in Arabic is desirable
• Basic Microsoft Office skills, including word & excel