at SSR in
UAE - Abu Dhabi
Sous Chef at SSR in UAE - Abu Dhabi
Job highlightsPosted on November 23, 2016
- Experience in Hospitality & Tourism
- Professional background in Catering, Hospitality, sous chef
- Job level Experienced
Fluent English is a Must
We are looking for a professional Sous Chef to be the second in command in our busy kitchen, following our Executive Chef's specifications and guidelines. The sous chef is responsible for overseeing the entire food production of a shift, including their creation, execution and presentation. The position must ensure the recipes that have been created are being executed correctly, and must also ensure quality control measures are being adhered to daily. The sous chef is responsible for determining how many staff members are needed for each shift. The Position must possess the ability to quickly and authoritatively delegate job tasks to a large team. This position must also be able to draw upon their considerable experience as a culinary chef who has worked in many different roles and settings in order to effectively coach and mentor junior chefs.
• Plans, directs, and supervises the food preparation and cooking activities of multiple kitchens within the Hospital.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
• Collaborates with other personnel to plan and develop recipes and menus, taking into account such factors as seasonal availability of ingredients and the likely number of customers.
• Demonstrates new cooking techniques and equipment to the team.
• Determines how food should be presented, and creates decorative food displays.
• Estimates amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
• Inspects supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
• Instructs cooks and other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, and presentation of food.
• Monitors sanitation practices to ensure that team follow standards and regulations.
• Analyses recipes to assign prices to menu items, based on food, labour, and overhead costs.
• Records production and operational data on specified forms.
• Works with diet cooks and dieticians for special requirements and with Executive Sous Chef in planning, budgeting, and purchasing for all food production operations.
• In addition to the above, any other assignment given occasionally or on a daily basis by the Management
Qualification & Experience
• School Certificate (or equivalent) Certificate or Diploma in Culinary / Pastry Arts / Hotel Management School.
• Essential Food Safety Training Certificate
• Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate
• At least 5 to 7 years' experience in the Food & Beverage Industry preferably in a 5 star Hotel, flight kitchen, cruise ship or Hospital
• Previous experience in the Middle East is desirable
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES:
• Understanding of basic food & beverage service skills
• Understanding of the importance of Occupational Health & Safety and Food Safety and Hygiene
• Strong communication & listening skills
• Good customer service skills
• Previous experience leading and managing a small team in a diverse environment
• Leads by example, demonstrating a high level of patience, calmness and positivity in the workplace
• Solid attention to detail and good time management skills
• Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Ability to learn quickly & adapt to change
• Ability to work and lead a team while multi-tasking
• Ability to think clearly with solid judgement in high pressure situations
• Strong conflict & complaint resolution skills
• Fluent in written and spoken English
• Spoken Arabic will be an added advantage
• Exposure to basic financials (preferred, not essential)
• Basic Microsoft Office skills, including word & excel
This role is in an extremely busy environment and the ideal candidate should be able to handle intense and high pressure environments at ;