Assistant Port Captain
at Inchcape Shipping Services in
UAE - Dubai
Assistant Port Captain at Inchcape Shipping Services in UAE - Dubai
Job HighlightsPosted on October 4, 2016
- Experience in Quality, Risk & Safety
- Professional background in Fire / Safety, Operations, Quality Assurance / Quality Control, Health / Safety
- Job level Experienced
Fluent English is a Must
As Assistant Port Captain you will report to Manager-Marine Logistics. Mainly you will be responsible for QHSSE Matters onboard of vessels operating in Arabian Gulf. Responsible for safety drills onboard and trainings for crew and evaluate the performances of new joining officers of all rank and give regular feedback to the department.
Frequent visit of vessels, monitoring vessel certifications and monthly reports and overseeing the supplies of safety and navigation equipment and its periodical maintenance. The incumbent shall also assist the department with procurement of stores.
The general work of the incumbent includes assisting the Department manager with crew training, crew certification, crew certification specific to the location and charter, and rotation of crew, leave schedule and keep the crew motivated in order to reduce the staff turnover. This further requires building relationship with all boat crew and ISS business streams.
The jobholder will assist the Technical Manager in all technical procurement and assist him during vessel dry docking. Also liaising with boarding representative/local branch offices for smooth movements of the ISS vessels in the ports.
The Port Captain will be responsible for organizing, liaising with charterers, preparing the vessels and assisting the Technical Manager and conduct the vetting inspections of the vessels in accordance with Charterers requirements. He will also ensure that the vessel is operationally fit for the performance of the charter party and as required.
• Adherence to HSE policy and Government Regulation: Ensure compliance to all relevant safety, quality and environmental procedures and controls across the vessel to guarantee employee safety, legislative compliance, delivery of the high quality services and a responsible environmental attitude in accordance with ISS HSE policies and procedures.
• Drills and Trainings: Ensures and follow up closely with vessel crew for conducting weekly drills and safety meetings. Ensure that all records of all such drills should be available in the office as well as onboard vessel for inspection.
• Safety and Navigation Equipment Maintenance: Responsible for all safety and navigation equipment are in good order and up to date. Ensure the annual servicing/recertification of all safety equipment onboard prior to expiry.
• Vessel's Certification: Closely liase with vessel's master and ensures all vessel's certificates are valid at all times. Ensure a track on the validity of certificates and update the office regularly on the same. Ensure vessel good condition prior to all class and conditions surveys.
• Vessel's Maintenance: Schedule periodic vessel preventive maintenance as per ISS guidelines.
• Stores Procurement: Responsible for arranging monthly stores in consultation with vessel's master. If possible he should physically check for balance on board on deck/bridge/engine stores before placing the order for next month. Ensure proper liaison with engineer in order to keep all the engine spares readily available in case of breakdown.
• Crew Evaluation: Evaluates the new joining deck officers (master, chief officer and A/B) before confirmation after probation period and ensure the evaluations records are available in the office.
• Vessel's dry docking and Workshop. Assist Port Engineer in all technical work during vessel dry docking and as when with workshop team regularly and guide them as accordingly whenever need arise.
• Port Movements: Liaising with boarding representative for smooth movements of the ISS vessels in the ports.
• Vetting Inspections: Liaise with all parties and the vessel and pass all inspections to charterers' requirements.
Qualifications & Experience:
• Graduate or Higher Secondary Certificate.
• Seagoing Experience-Preferably Deck Officer/Master-Restricted COC,STCW 95 and GMDSS Courses.
• Technical skill/Basic knowledge of engine room.
• Communications and Administration skills.
• Very good knowledge of bridge/Navigational Equipment and its functions.
• Human Resource Skills