at SOS Children's Village UAE in
UAE - Dubai
Managing Director at SOS Children's Village UAE in UAE - Dubai
Job HighlightsPosted on September 26, 2016
- Experience in Strategic Management & Consulting
- Professional background in Management Consulting, Strategic Marketing Planning, fundraising, Partner Management, NGO & International Affairs
- Job level Managerial
Fluent English and Arabic is a Must
The Managing Director of the SOS Children's Villages Gulf Area Office will lead the Gulf Area Office that is located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE). (S)he will represent SOS Children's Villages International in the Gulf (GCC) countries; namely the United Arab Emirates, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, and the Sultanate of Oman.
The Managing Director will lead and manage the Gulf Area Office in Dubai and will be responsible for developing this young start-up office, expanding its network of partners and donors, and leading the office into a sustainable future within a secured financial setup. The Managing Director will also lead all legal & administrative aspects of the office, and develop strategies for increasing external communication and brand awareness in the region, as well as ensure local rooting.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategic planning: Development of the strategic plan of the office, and annual planning and budgeting, that takes place in the given framework of the SGIP grant and aligning with the line management at the SOS Children's Villages International office. Responsible for developing and monitoring annual plans for staff members based on the strategy.
Fundraising and awareness campaigns and events: Development and implementation of well-structured and sustainable external communication, fundraising strategies and campaigns, as well as granting applications and ensuring the necessary fundraising approvals in line with the UAE law. All activities need to support the organization's branding and positioning.
Increasing the yearly income from Leadership Giving: This includes fundraising from private & major donor institutions (such as foundations/funds) and governmental sources (such as ministries and embassies) as well as the corporate sector, to benefit the SOS programmes in the Middle East. Building, maintaining and intensifying donor relationships and ensuring proper grant management & reporting.
Communication: Communicating with the relevant Gulf-based stakeholders (including governments, foundations, corporates, major donors, non-governmental organisations and relevant child care partners) and the broad audience and media in the Gulf (including social media, television, radio and print) in order to position SOS Children's Villages as a leading child care expert and social development organisation. Actively participating in Gulf networks and relevant conferences.
Brand development: Development and implementation of strategies, in line with the SOS Children's Villages 2030 strategy and international policies and branding guidelines, for increasing brand recognition in the Gulf. Development of pro-bono partnerships with supporting agencies. All activities in branding and external communication needs to be based on the SOS Children's Villages 2030 strategy and international policies and branding guidelines.
Office management: Management of all legal and administrative aspects of the office setup, which includes licensing (yearly licencing), auditing, HR (including labour law, visa/immigration, and insurance), approvals from authorities and government (including ministries, International Humanitarian City, and Islamic Affairs Department) to ensure all office operations are carried out within the legal framework of the UAE and to ensure a high standard of accountability and efficiency.
Grants and funds management: Ensuring orderly management of grants & funds, and financial reporting, in line with international standards of accountability, transparency and good governance. A yearly audit will have to be handed in to the legal bodies (IHC, Government of Dubai) and the International office. Exploring the possibility of opening an Islamic endowment fund for fundraising.
Team management and development: Leading, managing and developing a small team at the Gulf Area Office, which will include an Administration/Finance Officer, a Communications Manager, a Fundraising Manager and a Grant / IPD Manager (50%), in addition to volunteers and/or interns. Development of annual plans and performance indicators with the team members, and supporting them in their developmental needs, guiding and supporting them in their work and ensuring strong team morale and internal communication.
Integration schemes: Further develop strategies to locally root & anchor SOS Children's Villages in the Gulf, which includes management of existing strategic partnerships with local entities and organisations (Awqaf and Minors Affairs Foundation, Dubai Foundation for Women and Children, Injaz al Arab) and entering into new partnerships if it benefits the SOS Children's Villages target group. Management and development of the "Friends of SOS" group in the UAE and expanding to other GCC countries.
Build effective links with the governmental structures and local authorities: Establish relationships with relevant government authorities, ensuring appropriate representation of the organisation's views and seeking government recognition and support for SOS Children's Villages work. Ensuring a clear understanding of the work of SOS Children's Villages International regarding children, families and community work.
Child rights & advocacy: Building partnerships with NGOs and like-minded stakeholders with the aim of improving the situation of children without parental care or at risk of losing their parental care. Pursuing advocacy objectives within NGO child rights forums and in strategic partnerships and relevant networks. Establishing and maintaining contacts with the media to promote the organisation's positions on various children's topics.
Close federation and internal cooperation and alignment with: SOS Children's Villages International (Austria), in particular Fundraising & Communications and Strategic Partnership Unit and Finance; SOS Children's Villages International Regional Office MENA (Morocco) and SOS Kinderdörfer weltweit (Germany), as the grant provider.
Cooperation and Reporting Relationships
- Report directly to the International Director of Fund Development, CC FD / International Regional Office MENA from 2017
- Report according to the SGIP / Child Impact Fund grant requirements .
- Coordinate and align programme funding priorities with SOS Kinderdörfer Weltweit, Germany and seek board approvals for new programmes planned and cooperate closely with the selected programme countries including Egypt, Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon, Sudan, Djibouti, Somalia.
- Foster a professional relationship and maintain close cooperation with IOR MENA and other relevant units in the international federation for programme information, programme approvals, implementation and reporting / evaluation based on agreements.
- Coordinate high level meetings with external stakeholders and SOS Children's Villages management and president (and honorary president).
- A Master Degree in a relevant sector (international development, child rights/social sector/politics)
- Minimum of five working years in the GCC including the UAE
- Existing stakeholder network with governments, foundations, high level philanthropists in the GCC, and a track record on grant management with institutions
- Profound knowledge of the Humanitarian Sector & relevant stakeholders in the UAE / GCC
- Arabic and English as working language (written and spoken)
- Excellent public speaker and relationship manager, able to build brands
- Strong media skills with TV, radio and print, with proven track record
- Result driven personality; and able to make decisions based on the "big picture"
- Able to navigate in a complex and dynamic internal/external environment with diverse partners
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, culturally sensitive
- Strong interest and internal motivation to support children and families in need
- Visa access for Schengen and Arab / GCC countries including travel access to KSA
- Approximate 20% travelling
- Driving license
A plus for
- Existing working experience within the SOS Children's Villages Federation or Child Care / Protection/Rights background (with consultancy experience)
- Field work experience in the humanitarian/development sector, in MENA or Africa
- Financial and controlling background and experience
- French or German as additional language
- A challenging scope of responsibilities with the possibility to grow & shape the position within a globally established organisation
- A diverse and exciting role in an international, dynamic working environment
- A purposeful position where social responsibility for the welfare of children and youths in Middle East is uppermost
- Flexibility of working remotely
Please click below to apply