Rock Mechanics Chief Engineer (Open Pit & Underground) Zambia
through CareerAvenue Global in
Rock Mechanics Chief Engineer (Open Pit & Underground) Zambia Full time through CareerAvenue Global in South Africa
Job highlightsPosted on April 18, 2016
Our client is a major player in the mining industry. Based in Africa, they seek an exceptional individual for this expat contract career opportunity.
Direct Supervisor: Mine Technical Services Manager.
Salary according to qualifications and experience.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE: Manage the functions of the Geotechnical department with respect to the open pit and underground mines.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
• University degree in Geotechnology or Geology / BSc Honors in Rock Mechanics.
• Over fifteen (15) years of experience (open pit and underground).
• Highly Experienced.
• Valid driver's license.
• Preferably bilingual (English and French).
• Able to use desktop software.
• Able to use basic geotechnical or geological instruments.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
• Physically fit to work.
• Applies the science of Rock Mechanics.
• Inspect the pit, instrumentation, take manual measurements and check the slope parameters.
• Keep abreast of the geotechnical development of the mines.
• Send the results of investigations and drafting of reports.
• Ensure the achievement of good wall supporting standards.
• Administer the Geotechnical Department staff and advises on technical problems.
• Carry out any other task as requested by management in relation to his skills.
• Providing rock mechanics (geotechnical) services: excavation design, development and stoping layouts, sequence of mining and scheduling of production to ensure cost effective and safe ore production.
• Investigates potential implications of short and long-term mining recommendations to management on possible changes in planning and support requirements.
• Observes and analyses the mining environment, evaluates findings and advises on safe mining practices.
• Catalogues the required geotechnical data to ensure information is readily available for use by appropriate planning and production officials.